A holistic approach to building strong, healthy bones
Are you at risk for bone loss, or have you recently been diagnosed with osteoporosis or osteopenia? Or perhaps you have seen how bone loss has crippled your grandmother, mother or sister, and you fear the same might happen to you someday. You are not alone; over 25 million Americans suffer the consequences of bone loss every year.
Though it is typical to lose some bone mass as you age, osteoporosis is not an inevitable side effect to aging! It is a silent disease process and there are natural ways to keep your bones strong and healthy so you can continue living an active life as you age.
Bone loss can also occur from many systemic problems, like chronic inflammation, and as a result of many other diseases and certain medications. This is why maintaining and improving bone health requires nourishing and supporting the human body as a whole.
The BONES Method is the comprehensive and holistic approach that can help you have strong, healthy bones for life!
Great Falls Pilates is thrilled to add Susan Brady to our Great Falls Wellness team. Her integrative medicine background complements our practice so well. You do not have to be a Great Falls Pilates client to see Susan, however bone safe exercise is an integral part to building healthy bones!
THE BONES METHOD™
The BONES Method™ provides comprehensive evaluation and counseling based on the following 5 specific areas of bone health.
Balanced nutrition is essential for bone health
- Not only is adequate calcium necessary, but also foods high in other minerals such magnesium and boron, and vitamins such as vitamin K and D.
- Eating a balanced acid-alkaline diet can help to reduce bone loss.
- A high acid promoting diet can cause calcium to be leached from your bones and excreted in the urine.
- It is important to avoid other foods that promote calcium excretion such as sugar, salt, alcohol and soft drinks.
Optimize digestion to maximize nutrient absorption
- Digestion is a critical component of bone health. You need to be able to adequately digest your food so that you can absorb the nutrients necessary to maintain and improve bone health.
- It is important to address all underlying digestive issues that may be contributing to impaired digestion, malabsorption and inadequate utilization of nutrients required for building and maintaining healthy bones.
Nurture the soul to reduce stress and promote sleep
- Stress increases two hormones called cortisol and adrenaline which can cause bone loss and inhibit bone formation.
- Adequate sleep is necessary for the body to rebuild and repair itself.
- Good bone health requires exploring ways to reduce stress and finding ways to improve sleep quality.
Exercise to strengthen bones and muscles
- Weight bearing and strength training exercises stress bones and stimulates new bone formation.
- Strengthening the supporting muscles of the spine and hip enhance stability and support of those bones.
- Balance exercises are critical for preventing falls and reducing the risk of fractures.
- Posture exercises help to prevent the common postural changes that can occur as a person ages and help to enhance proper body alignment.
Supplements when needed for additional bone building support
- Bones need a constant supply of many vitamins and minerals, and deficiency of any one nutrient can adversely affect bone health.
- Addressing and correcting individual nutrient deficiencies through appropriate supplementation will strengthen your bones and your body.
The BONES Method™ is a targeted and individualized approach that will help you achieve stronger bones and overall better health!